The Akko Tower shipwreck was found in 4.4 m of water, 35 m north of the Tower of Flies at the entrance to Akko harbour, on the Mediterranean coast of Israel. The hull remains were covered by a significant amount of stones, apparently used as ballast. It seems to have been a 25-m long merchantman, constructed in the mid-1850s using timber from forests along the southern Black Sea coast. This shipwreck is evidence for the continued use of Akko harbour, even after the heavy damage following the 1840 bombardment of the town.
|Journal||International Journal of Nautical Archaeology|
|State||Accepted/In press - 2022|
Bibliographical notePublisher Copyright:
© 2022 Nautical Archaeology Society.
- ballast stones
- Ottoman Period
- ship construction
ASJC Scopus subject areas