Presence-awareness: A conceptual model-based systems biology approach

Yaniv Mordecai, Judith Somekh, Dov Dori

Research output: Contribution to journalConference articlepeer-review


We propose a model-based systems engineering approach for representing and analyzing the perception and consideration of the presence of external entities by systems. This approach is inspired by the conceptual model-based systems biology paradigm we have previously proposed. The notion of presence and absence of surrounding objects, or occurrence of surrounding processes, is becoming ever more critical in a world of highly-aware automation agents and the increasingly complex and stochastic environmental configurations in which these agents act. This problem is well-known in the biological modeling domain. System models usually focus on nominal, mainstream aspects and scenarios. Presence-related aspects are often assumed to pose no issue, and remain unattended in both the conceptual and actual system design phases. The Pareto rule-ofthumb of system design asserts that about 20% of design and development efforts cover the nominal, "sunny day" process, while the other 80% cover exceptions, alternative scenarios, failure modes, edge conditions, special settings, and emergencies. We propose an approach to extend the naïve, nominal system model by enriching it with notions of presence-awareness and sensitivity. This approach is facilitated by Object-Process Methodology, a holistic system and process modeling framework, currently being adopted as ISO standard 19450.

Original languageEnglish
Article number6974043
Pages (from-to)996-1001
Number of pages6
JournalConference Proceedings - IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics
Issue numberJanuary
StatePublished - 2014
Externally publishedYes
Event2014 IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, SMC 2014 - San Diego, United States
Duration: 5 Oct 20148 Oct 2014

Bibliographical note

Publisher Copyright:
© 2014 IEEE.


  • Conceptual model-based systems biology
  • Exception handling
  • Exception modeling
  • Input variability
  • Model-based systems engineering
  • Object-process methodology
  • Presence
  • Presence-awareness
  • Process anomaly

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Electrical and Electronic Engineering
  • Control and Systems Engineering
  • Human-Computer Interaction


Dive into the research topics of 'Presence-awareness: A conceptual model-based systems biology approach'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this